The Notes feature allows you to enter descriptions and details about steps you've taken on a specific date or date range to improve SEO, events that might affect SEO, or anything you'd like to help jog your memory or highlight your efforts for your team members or clients to see. It's simple to use, only a few clicks and your reports and graphs can be enhanced with data you've entered.
What's the difference between note types?
- Notes (Single Date) displays text for a single date on a graph hover or in reports that support this feature
- Notes (Date Range) displays text across a date range on a graph or in reports that support this feature
Notes can be entered one at a time or bulk imported.
Open Tools > Notes:
- Click the Tools tab
- Select Notes.
- Click the +Add button in the upper right section of the Notes screen.
Add a Note:
- Select Type: Single Date or Date Range
- Select the Campaign it refers to or All Campaigns.
- If the item applies to a specific keyword, then check the Keyword box and select the keyword from the list.
- Select a Color you'd like displayed in your reports & graphs for this Note.
- Choose a date or date range from the calendar.
- Enter your Description.
- Click the Save button.
Prepare the Notes import file
Download the Notes sample file
and enter in the:
- start_date field: in YYYY-MM-DD format, the date you want the note displayed in reports and graphs.
- end_date field (optional): this is only for multiple day notes (i.e., date range) and must be entered in YYYY-MM-DD format
- campaign field: this must be exactly as it is entered in the General Settings Campaign Name field. To display the note for:
- more than one campaign, enter them in the same field with only a comma between them (no spaces), like this: Amazon,Apple,Samsung
- all campaigns in the account, enter all_campaigns
- keyword field (optional): this is to apply a note to a specific keyword in the campaign
- color field: the default color is a bright green, color number #71ca30. You may enter any Hex color number in this field (refer to the HTML Color Picker for assistance with color numbers)
- description field: the note contents
Save the file.
Bulk Upload Notes
Click the Choose File button, locate the file on your computer and click the Upload button.
Open the Tools > Notes screen
Click the Edit (pencil) button corresponding to the Note.
This screen can be filtered by campaign, note type and account user.
View Notes in Reports and Graphs
View Notes in Report
In the Report Options > Notes
, slide the selector to the right to show the type of Notes you want displayed in the report or graph (it will display as blue), and click the report options Apply Changes button at the bottom of the sidebar.
In the report, hover over the colored bar to view the Note content.
View Notes in Graph
Enable the display of Notes in the graph options (sidebar), and hover over the colored bar area of the graph to see the Note description.
Review or Edit a Note in a Report or Graph
Click colored bar in a report or colored area in a graph to open the Note, edit and save.
Backup Your Notes
You can make a backup copy of your Notes using the Export option below the table. This exports all notes that apply to the Campaign and Type filter selected at the top of the screen. Click the Export button and save the CSV file to your computer.
Example of Notes Export
Remove Notes from your account
Notes can be deleted from your account by checking the individual items and clicking the Delete button.
Deleted Notes Can NOT be Recovered
Because deleting notes causes all data to be lost, we highly recommend that you export and save notes before deletion.
You can add notes directly from the Link Details screen, associate the note with a rank tracking campaign and even an individual keyword.
Add a Link Note
After a link has been created, you'll see additional functions in the upper right of the Link Details screen: + Add Note
and Duplicate buttons.
Clicking the + Add Note button launches a Notes detail screen with the Description automatically containing the basic information for that link. You may select for the note to display for a single date or date range, choose a color, select a campaign and even a specific keyword to apply the note to.
Note in Daily Snapshot
In this example hovering over a date that has a colored note indicator displays the text that you place in the note Description field (Notes must be enabled in Report Options).
In this example, multiple notes display as color highlights in the Visibility Graph and can be read by hovering over any highlighted area.
The above are just a few examples of reports and graphs that support the display of Notes.
Notes in Link Manager Reports
To create a note for display in a Link Manager reports, enter text in the Additional Information > Notes field and Save.
Link Dashboard display of Notes
In this example, clicking the Notes icon pops up the display of the note text.